Sunday, January 18, 2015

January 12

1. The primary suggestion from both the instructor and my classmates was to develop my ideas into a longer and more intense piece. Suggested methods of accomplishing this were to fragment and extend gestures, to use rhythmic development, and to explore a simultaneous playing between the two instruments. I have been working on applying these suggestions; since the development in this brief etude was minimal, I have a great deal of room for expansion into a longer piece.

2. Notational suggestions were made as well, and it was agreed that I need to provide more notational clarity for the piano glissando, by indicating an approximate starting pitch, and the cello glissando, by explaining that the player should shift from sul ponticello to regular bowing over its course. Other notational changes suggested in class that I am implementing include moving the cello above the piano on the page and changing accidentals for greater clarity. All of these changes will be included in the final version.

3. Musical suggestions included the addition of pedal markings, the use of two octave doubling, hammering notes in the high range for punctuation, and more eighth notes lower in the bass. All of these suggestions would increase expressiveness and intensity, and as I will apply these techniques to develop my motives.

No comments:

Post a Comment